At an event in Garrett Park today, Montgomery County Executive Isiah Leggett recognized The Abundant Backyard as one of the first seven businesses to be certified under the County’s new Green Landscape Business Certification Program, a collaboration between MoCo Department of Environmental Protection, the MoCo Chamber of Commerce and Montgomery College.
Landscape businesses, garden centers and design consultants offering installation and/or maintenance services are eligible for the program. To be certified a business must meet requirements from a checklist of over 130 actions in four broad areas:
1) Air quality, energy efficiency, waste management and procurement; 2) Integrated Pest Management and plants; 3) Water and soil; and 4) Organizational Commitment and office operations.
Highlights of green practices in The Abundant Backyard Garden Design and Garden Buddy Consultation services include:
Creating garden designs with climate appropriate, hardy, pest-resistant plants to limit need for watering, fertilizing and chemical pest control.
- Installing in each floral garden design, locally grown plants, with 75% or more being native to the Maryland Piedmont and Coastal Plain Regions that attract local pollinators.
- Planting edible garden designs and vegetable gardens with locally grown organic seeds and seedlings.
- Using locally composted soil amendments, e.g. Leaf Gro made here in Montgomery County and locally produced worm castings.
- Reducing turf by recommending no or less lawn in client garden design and implementation.
- Incorporating recycled composite edging for garden beds and paths to limit mulch run off.
- Mulching with sustainably harvested shredded hardwood mulches with no added chemicals.
Look for The Abundant Backyard and the other Green Landscape Businesses in an ad featured on MoCo Ride On buses starting today!